Author: Pinch of Yum · Prep time: 10 mins · Cook time: 45 mins · Total time: 55 mins · Serves: 16
This cake was really good! Next time I won’t use as much sugar in the topping. It would only need about 1/4 cup of sugar and I will spread it thin over the top. I was supposed to bake a loaf of bread to bring to my Mom’s house for dinner but I felt like making this apple cake instead. Ironically she had made an apple desert too! Her’s was healthier than mine was with more nuts and larger chunks of apple so eating them together was delicious! What a lucky combination!
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk (you can sub milk+vinegar, or plain yogurt+milk)
- 1 tsp. soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped apples (I used Wealthy heirloom)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbs. butter
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Mix ingredients in order given (except the last 3 ingredients).
- Pour batter into a 9×13 greased pan.
- Combine last 3 ingredients to make a topping and sprinkle it evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes. It’s delicious when served warm!