My sodas have been getting pretty popular with the people lately so it is time to step up my game. I had been making syrup in batches of 3-4 cups at a time, now i’m making it in batches of 12-15 cups. Time to get real and buy a pressurized keg to make 10 gallon batches!
I made Black Peppercorn Ginger Ale with a dash of salt and juice of a whole lemon today! It is absolutely delicious.
Ingredients for 4 cups of ginger syrup
- 2 cups Unbleached White Sugar
- 1/4 cup warm filtered Water
- 2.5 oz Fresh Ginger root (thinly sliced)
- 2 1/2 cup boiling filtered Water
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- In a medium sauce pan add Sugar and warm water on medium heat. Mix well. Continue stirring every 2-3 minutes. Our goal is to have the sugar slowly bubbling and to turn an amber color.
- In a separate small sauce pan add 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. (I pre-boil water in my electric kettle to save time). Add sliced ginger root to water and soft boil while the sugar caramelizes. Our goal here is to make strong ginger water.
- Once the sugar has caramelized pour the ginger water into the sugar, add the peppercorns, lemon juice, and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let steep for one hour.
- Jar and store in the fridge. Simple syrups keep indefinitely!
I spoon 1/8 – 1/4 cup of syrup into the bottom of a cup of 10 oz of carbonated water and stir gently.